Monday, February 3, 2014

DIY Baked Strawberry Donuts

My parents came to visit this weekend.  To celebrate, my mom and I made these donuts.  I'm not much of a donut eater, but the strawberry cake style donuts looked so good that I had to give them a try!


We started with strawberries.  Mom cut off the tops.  We did not use all of these, but they'll be a treat at breakfast tomorrow.

The recipe called for a donut pan like this, but Mom had a bunt pan  that did the job just as well. Plus it made the donuts look like cute 'lil bunt cakes! 

 Mom mashed the strawberries with a fork.

 I combined the dry ingredients.  1 cup of flour....

 Sugar...
Baking powder...

Cinnamon...




and salt.


I gave the dry ingredients a quick stir with a fork.


 Mom got the wet ingredients together.  She started with milk.


Beat an egg into the mix.


 Added vanilla...(it called for maple syrup, but we prefer vanilla.)

 then got some butter ready by melting it and putting it to the side.


She mixed the wet items together, then added it to the dry ingredients. 


It looked kind of pretty!


We then pulled out my handy Kitchen Aid Mixer to do mixing for us.

 Mixing and mixing....


Mom added the melted butter while it was mixing.


Once it was mixed together fairly well, we added the mashed strawberries a 1/2 cup at a time.


Pretty!

We then filled the bunt pan with the batter.

We got every bit out using my  Silicone spatula


All gone!


And then threw it it my (slightly well loved- perhaps an oven cleaning pin soon?) oven.  While it was baking , Mom made the glaze.


We had some leftover strawberries, so Mom decided to use them in the glaze.  I think it was a good move! 


Powdered sugar and milk...

Mix mix mix mix....

She switched to a whisk.  We should have used a bigger bowl, but Mom got it to work.


We turned the baked donuts on to a cooling rack.  We put some foil below to make cleanup easier for the next step.

We drizzled the glaze over the donuts.


Here's a close up.  We were a bit worried at this point, because they sure did not look very pretty.  However, I'm here to show you the *real* process and how it *actually* looks, so here you are! 


We did not need to worry!  They were delicious!  My husband, Mom, Dad and I ate the whole batch today.  They were best when they were hot out of the oven.


I'd call this one a success!

No comments:

Post a Comment