Tuesday, February 4, 2014

How to Make Easy, Delicious Cheese Dip

Here's the dip we made to enjoy during the Super Bowl. (Did you SEE that game?  I am not a football person at ALL, and I could tell how horrible that game was for Denver!)  Anyway, Cheese Dip is one of our favorite special occasion snacks.  My grandma learned how to make this in the 50's or 60's, and my dad made it for us when we were small.  Now I carry on the tradition!

It's super easy.  You only need three things: Velveeta, Rotel, and Fritos.  Fritos are the official cheese dip chips in my family- nothing else will do!  I suppose you could use something else, but it would not be the full cheese dip experience without Fritos. 



That's all you need!  We only use 1/2 the block of Velveeta.  If you use the whole block, use two cans of Rotel.


I'm old school and use a double boiler, but I suppose you could microwave it.  I'm not sure if the texture would be the same if you used the microwave. The double boiler above belonged to my grandmother.


Cube HALF the cheese.   It does not have to be exact.  I go for approximately one inch cubes.  (I store the other half in one of these things- I think I got mine free as part of a promotion at a grocery store, but you can apparently buy them.)


Put the cheese in the double boiler and dump a can of Rotel on it, juice and all. (My mother is doing the pouring here. Making cheese dip is a family affair!)


This is what it will look like.  After the water is boiling in the double boiler, reduce the heat to low. 


 Give the dip a mix every now and then.  Keep mixing occasionally until all the cubes are completely melted.


When it is melted and creamy, turn off the heat and dish up servings. 


Enjoy with delicious Fritos!  

No comments:

Post a Comment